CLAWs Forums » Tabletop RPGs

Naming Spell circles

(4 posts)
  • Started 16 years ago by Xenaroth
  • Latest reply from Xenaroth

Tags:

1. I am currently creating my own custom spell groups for a system I want to try DM. The basic structure is based on d10s. Anyways I'm having dificulties in finding an appropreiate name for a spell circle that uses air and earth based spells. To give you the flavour of teh other names i have:

Restoration (healing and enhancing the body)
    Necromancy (basically the opposite to restoration)
    Illusion (based on creating figments of sound and images)
    Telekinesis (forced/travel based magic)
    Mysticism (magic dealing with magic itself)
    Thermancy (magic based off temprature fire/ice)

thank you in advance

Posted 16 years ago #
  2. Wait...you are trying to create a magic system from scratch? Is the setting built around the magic (Ars Magic / Unknown Armies) or is the magic just a side issue (Dnd / WoD / Cthulhu)?

Posted 16 years ago #
  3. You haven't mentioned water. How about a category for spells based on earth, air and water; and thus solids, liquids and gases of various kinds? You could call it Elementalism, or Alchemy, or something.

Posted 16 years ago #
  4. Well i'm taking the basic structural feel of oWoD's 5 levels of each skill etc and trying to come up with my own magic system. Most of the skills/attributes are basically taken from WW as i think they do make a nice base for characters but I've browsed around have not found a magic/powers system that fits into the design I want.

Basically everyone has access to magic it like other things just takes time to study and it uses mana as a requirement to power it as it is still not a perfectly natural of expressing skills/talents. People may when they have no mana spend health levels although is more dangerous and risks are greater, the rewards are more entertaining (be that for the player or GM/ST).

babyacid: the system is from scratch but used a lot of WW influence and is build in paralell with a street level mortal WoD skill set which will be itself customised to be more part of a vanilla fantasy setting as opposed to mordern.

confluence: true i have not mentioned water and it was in the original set of spell circles but since the circles have been resuffled and water has kind of dropped out. how ever this does not mean it will stay so for long. i intent to bring it back and your suggestion is a nice valid one. I also intend to work in darkness/lunar and light/solar circles into the setting.

Posted 16 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.