CLAWs Forums » About this forum

Discuss desired sub-forums here...

(13 posts)
  1. OOPMan

Right, so this forum is supposed to exist as a test bed for discussing and implementing the final form the forum will take?

Or is it just going to evolve in a kinda half-hearted way...

Well, blah to that.

Anyway, we need to come up with some general categories that things can be posted under...

Here's some categories I think would be good:

Roleplaying
    Wargaming
    Cardgaming
    Computer and Video gaming

Now I think we can all admit that there are, have been and will probably continue to be CLAW-folk who engage in one or more of the above kinds of gaming and thus I would say they are valid fields of discussion...

Okay, so that's my first contribution. Anyone else have any category ideas. I'm thinking something to do with CLAWs as a society and also some stuff to handle ex-CLAWs and CLAW-associated individuals...

EDIT: Changed the title, to make it a little more obvious to new members...

Posted 17 years ago #
  2. Synkronos

I think LARP discussions will be large enough to warrant their own category as well, separate from roleplaying.

A Conventions section might be sporadically used, but in times of use it would be quite active.

Posted 17 years ago #
  3. OOPMan

LARPs can be handled under roleplaying with the tag LARP. We can do a split, I suppose, if there really is enough traffic on both subjects to warrant it...

What do other people think?

Posted 17 years ago #
  4. Hi people

I see Wargaming has been mentioned as a category, but I'm unable to find such a sub forum. If one exists please could you point me to it?

Thanks

Posted 17 years ago #
  5. A Wargaming category seems like a good plan. I will create it later in the day unless there are outraged screams of protest.

Posted 17 years ago #
  6. So Confluence where be the wargaming category

I wanted to post something on munchkin

will check after the long luddite weekend break

Posted 17 years ago #
  7. Whoops. There you go. But Munchkin isn't a wargame; it's a card game, silly. I'll make a category for that as well.

Posted 17 years ago #
  8. OOPMan

I'm going to add a category for Roleplaying, if you don't mind confluence, the intention being for table-top related discussions to go there...

Any protests?

Posted 17 years ago #
  9. I think we didn't add it in the first place because it was too broad and vague. Would it not perhaps be better to have some more specific forums to go with Campaigns (which is for the discussion of current and upcoming campaigns)?

What kind of things (other than campaigns) would you post about in a Tabletop (if we do make one, please let's not call it "Roleplaying" ;) ) forum? How to GM? How to play? How to write modules? We could have separate forums for all of these.

Edit: if consensus opinion is that it would be better to start off with a single "Tabletop" category, and split off particularly noisy subjects as becomes necessary, then rename the existing Campaigns category rather than starting a new one. All the threads in there already are for tabletop campaigns.

(Threads can be moved between forums, so if we do split off subjects later the old threads can be sorted retroactively.)

I have no particular objection to this, if other people agree.

I still think GMing and Writing would make other good categories, but I don't think we should add them until someone wants them.

Posted 17 years ago #
  10. OOPMan

Bah, to...many...specifics!

I seem to recall the whole idea was to avoid creating zillions of sub-forums, not in the least because doing so for every topic would be "feature creep" and not doing so would leave certain topic groups unbalanced...

I still think this:

Roleplaying
    Wargaming
    Cardgaming
    Computer and Video gaming

Would have been a good initial gaming roster. But then a forum for LARPs got created and another one for Campaigns and so bloody forth.

IMHO these forum's would be better represented using tags and integrated into the Roleplaying forum or, if needs be, integrated as sub-forums of roleplaying...

*sigh*

This is why I thought we should discuss what forums to create *before* people started posting actual topics in them. It was fairly safe to assume that the 4 basic categories listed above would get some posts...

Bit late now, though...

Posted 17 years ago #
  11. Do you not have the ability to merge/move threads? This would allow you to restructure and move OT discussions as required.

Chris

Posted 17 years ago #
  12. If we waited until we all agreed on exactly what categories to create, we'd still be arguing well into next year, and there would be no forum. I think that we won't know what categories would be best until we let people post stuff and see what there is lots of.

I disagree about having a single forum for "Roleplaying". Wargamers and card gamers may shout at me in outrage if they disagree, but I think the main focus of CLAWs is roleplaying, and so this subject requires more detailed sub-divisions on the forum.

Revised suggestion:

* Leave Campaigns as it is, as a more detailed sub-category for talking about running, playing in and starting campaigns. If it totally dies, it can be merged into Tabletop.
    * Create Tabletop, a new catch-all category for discussing tabletop-style roleplaying.
    * Move the ordering around so that it is clear how the forums are grouped.

It is not my intent to have balanced topic groups and forums of perfectly equal weight with no overlap -- it is to have general categories *and* more specific categories for topics which receive a lot of traffic. If a few months from now the Tabletop category is 90% full of D&D, I think we should create a separate category for D&D. The D&D forum will sustain itself, and the people who don't want to talk about D&D won't be swamped by D&D in the general forum.

Posted 17 years ago #
  13. OOPMan

Yeah, I realise that. Balance, while nice, is unlikely, since CLAWs isn't balanced :-)

Well, anyway, seems okay. Tabletop it is :-)

Posted 17 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.